Archetype Design

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Archetype Design

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm

The basic design of archetypes is thus, but there are points where we have broken this for reasons of balance/power:
- Archetype Power: skill bonuses and any unique powers. No upgrades.
- Basic Talents: two upgrades
- Intermediate Talents: two upgrades
- Advanced Talents: one upgrade
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Re: Archetype Design

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 am

Regarding upgrades.

When upgrading number of uses the progression as a standard is 1 to 3, or 3 to 6.

Upgrades should not be dependent on the purchase of other upgrades (you shouldn't need to buy upgrades in a particular order).
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby stew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:53 am

i actually have a serious question, the skill upgrades say "they cannot grant you an effective level above epic" assuming your actual skill level is advanced in one of these skills, which would then grant you epic skill level.

If you then have an item that grants plus 1, is there any issue on how that 'stacks'? And also what level do you consider your level to be for the purposes of xp spend?

I know this isn't a change but i only really realised just then that if its always considered a floating 'add on' to your level then as soon as you increase it to epic for real you then loose they benefit of your extra skill level....if that makes sense.

Shoot me if im not being helpful. :)
stew
Captain
Captain
Hildred Billhoff

Postby Artemis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:52 am

From the car ride down to Empire I remember there being chat about skills going up to epic (6) for the character with potential to boost by up to a further two to get 8 with items.
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 am

Stew, Epic is 6 - the natural skill cap, Advanced is 3. So the archetype bonuses always apply a benefit up to an actual skill level of Master (5). What it does is give you your sixth level of the skill for free.

Your actual skill level for the purposes of XP spends is the level you have bought with XP. Effectives are not included in that count.

Item bonuses can stack with archetype bonuses but not other item bonuses.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby stew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 pm

oh fuck....ignore me i just can't read....

cheers.

Oh about phil's point, can items raise your skill level above 6? ive never heard that before, but that would be cool because currently i have two items that give me +1 integrity each....lol
stew
Captain
Captain
Hildred Billhoff

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 pm

stew wrote:oh fuck....ignore me i just can't read....

cheers.

Oh about phil's point, can items raise your skill level above 6? ive never heard that before, but that would be cool because currently i have two items that give me +1 integrity each....lol

It's something we're changing with this rewrite. Item bonuses do not stack.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Artemis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Is there an intended balance between uptime and downtime talents? I hadn't thought to look at it till Hazel made the point about removing the useful downtime talent from leader. There seem to be some archetypes like arch militant and scout that are near exclusively uptime and others with much more of a downtime presence like navigator and seneschal.

In rewriting them should there be a balance or are some archetypes meant to have their usefulness slanted like so?
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:35 pm

We've generally tried to balance it out where suitable. Some archetypes are more suited to downtime talents than others.

Leaders, Seneschals, Navigators and Sages all have skill-sets that work well for downtime endeavours in various fashions.

Arch-Militants, Scouts, Psykers and Clerics are more uptime-focused.

Tech-Priests have an uptime focus, but have the crafting elements in downtime as well.
- Yoda.
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby Artemis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Some of the archtypes have a universal branch which gives them a bit more flexibility and more chance to choose between uptime and downtime usefulness. Would it be useful maybe to add something similar to some of the other archetypes so they have a similar amount of choice?
Artemis
Rules Ref
Rules Ref
Shane-O

Next

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites