Downtime System Rules Questions

Discussions pertinent to the rules rewrite

Moderator: Artemis

Re: Downtime System Rules Questions

Postby Bear » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Since I am a curious sort...

Third paragraph on the first page of the Revised Downtimes (Beta) 1.1 document states the following:

Void Ships also bear mentioning here, they have a number of actions equal to their
Speed rating, but may contribute both their Military and Exploration ratings with a
single action (if the method of the endeavour supports this). This makes void ships
an exceptionally powerful tool in downtime, as befits the focus of a game focusing on
Rogue Traders.

A Void Ship thus gets actions = Speed. Are there any limits to how these actions can be distributed, or could I apply two actions from the ship to the same Endeavour?
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 am

I was literally having this discussion half an hour ago. This is complex, but this is how I envision things: yes, and also no.

So, to explain that... If you want to do apply your ship to an endeavour which gets you trade goods, or IP or something similarly cumulative where you could feasibly perform multiple endeavours with the ship to the same outcome, then I would say you could apply them to the same endeavour.

In basically any other circumstance, I'd say no. This rule also applies for any other type of asset as well.

To explain my reasoning: your ship can quite feasible make multiple trips to fill its holds or ferry you around the sector to influence people. This means that the ship's abilities can accumulate over the course of several effective endeavours to give you a larger outcome. For clarity's sake, it would be stupendously useful if these were calculated as separate endeavours within a singular endeavour.

Endeavour: Make Friends and Influence People
Outcome: Earn IP (900)

Endeavour 1: Cost 75, Difficulty 300
- 75IP
- Boaty McBoatface 300EP

Endeavour 2: Cost 75, Difficulty 300
- 75IP
- Boaty McBoatface 300EP

Endeavour 3: Cost 75, Difficulty 300
- 75IP
- Boaty McBoatface 300EP

Total: Cost 225, Difficulty 900

On the other hand, if you're going to wage a war, your ship can't exactly engage in the same battle twice, so my ruling would be that you could only use your ship once. Again, this applies to any asset.

I realise that this is somewhat contradictory to our stance on personal actions where you can engage in the same endeavour twice if you wish to, but it's much easier to have a person narratively double-down on an endeavour than it is to have a ship do so.
- Yoda.
Do you hear the voices too?!
Yoda
Storyteller
Storyteller
Code Cultist

Postby theresponsibleone » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:15 am

Yoda wrote:I realise that this is somewhat contradictory to our stance on personal actions where you can engage in the same endeavour twice if you wish to, but it's much easier to have a person narratively double-down on an endeavour than it is to have a ship do so.

Wait, you can? I thought you explicitly couldn't for some reason and have been juggling assets all over the place to avoid me having to charge a skill twice to the same endeavour.

Bother.
theresponsibleone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Bear » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 pm

That's sort of the answer I expected, Yoda. Thanks.

My counter-argument would be that a more mobile ship, i.e. one with more Speed, could outmanoeuvre slower ships, and thus you can contribute more to the war effort, by resupplying others with greater ease or similar...
I am not too fussed, however, and will accept your answer as it stands.
Bear
Captain
Captain
Lord Gavrillius Angstrom

Previous

Return to Rules 2.0 Rewrites